Monday, February 23, 2009

Unwritten Hollywood Red Carpet rule No. 5 . . .

Vanessa Hudgens in Marchesa


Miley Cyrus in Zuhair Murad


Amy Adams in Carolina Herrera gown
Fred Leighton necklace


Beyonce in Lay-Z-Boy


Freida Pinto in John Galliano


Put all very young Carpetiers in dresses meant for women at least 10 years older so they do not detract from the Carpetiers who actually are 10 to 20 years older.

Let's see, Vanessa Hudgens is 21, Miley Cyrus is 17 (why was she at the Oscars, and why was she wearing a dress bigger and shinier than most of the nominees'?), Amy Adams is 35, but could pass for 25, Beyonce is 28 and Frieda Pinto is 24. They shouldn't be stuffed in dresses better worn by 40+ society matrons when they could get away with wearing stuff that's young and fun.

I often think, when I see Miley on the red carpet with her mother, that they should trade dresses, like at the Golden Globes where Miley wore a white Marchesa floor-length empire gown and Mom wore a sequined mini-dress. C'mon girl, you're only that young once!

I wish Frieda Pinto wore something Indian (besides her jewelry) at least once during awards season.

Fred Leighton got credit for Amy Adam's necklace, but Fred Leighton only sells vintage pieces, it doesn't make jewelry. I believe her necklace is a vintage Cartier tutti-frutti piece, the kind of thing made and meant for society dowagers. It would look better on Meryl Streep. Or me. Yup, that necklace should be mine: I'm old enough, I'm good enough, and dammit, jewelry likes me.

No comments: