Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Gold-plated Vintage at the Emmy Awards

I never watch award shows -- I need all my remaining braincells, thank you -- but I always pay attention to what's being worn to award shows. I used to watch the red-carpet arrivals, too, until E! eliminated any possible controversy (and therefore any possible interest) by hiring than homunculus Ryan Seacrest as its host. Anyway, on Monday I went straight to style.com and the yahoo photos to see who wore what and, as usual, I was disappointed. Lots of strapless mermaid gowns, lots of boobs (Virginia Masden, I *heart* you, but WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???), lots of women parading their borrowed fall-collection gowns in the full sun of a 102 degree August day in southern California. Lots of fug-fodder for the Go Fug Yourself gals, which is a good thing.

I also watched E!'s Fashion Police special; another bore. The hosts liked dresses I thought were just passable, like Catherine Heigel's (tight, low-cut, gold, a snore) and they dissed anything I thought was interesting, like Sandra Oh's (draped, flowing, at least appropriate on a hot summer afternoon). No wonder all the actresses look like clones, they all want a pass from the so-called experts.

I was intrigued, however, by reports that Annette Benning wore a vintage Ceil Chapman dress. Ceil Chapman, who was simply a designer of better dresses working in New York from the late 1940s to the mid 1960s, has since become the most collectible name in vintage clothing. I spent an unmentionable amount of time surfing for a decent picture of Annette in her vintage treasure. Alas, the photos at left were the best I could do, and they reveal a dress that certainly isn't the best of Ceil Chapman, who became famous because of the intricate draping of her best pieces, like this one for sale now on e-bay. I have to give Annette 10 points for trying, though (and a couple of extra for keeping her bosom where it belongs).

1 comment:

Dandelion Vintage said...

Wow! A vintage dress that actually IS vintage! Usually at award shows, they call it 'vintage' and it ends up being from the 1980-90s, which isn't exactly the vintage that I'm hoping to see.
I remember someone on the after-awards show, once asked Joan Rivers what was considered vintage and she said 'in Hollywood, 5 minutes ago is vintage'. I miss Joan doing the red carpet, and E! blew it when they had Kathy Griffin and set her up far away from the a-listers. Ryan Seacrest is so horrible. How did he become so popular?