Thursday, September 17, 2009

Forget the Ugly

Not to long ago I was bemoaning the look of the Twenty-Zeros, which I summed up in a single word: ugly. And then WHAT does the American Fashion Industry do? It beats me over the head with the pretty stick during New York Fashion Week. My only complaint now (and you knew there had to be a complaint, didn't you?) is that I've downloaded a whole mess of pretty and I don't really know how to divide it up to write about it, although a post titled "Pretty in Pink" is inevitable. I guess I could continue on in that vein: Pretty in Prints, Pretty in Blue, what have you. And I probably will, now that I think of it, because I thought of it and I'm lazy. Anyhoo, here's a sample of the water in the pretty pond:

Barbara Tfank Spring 2010 - Pretty in Pink

Oscar de la Renta Spring 2010 - Pretty in Blue

Reem Acra Spring 2010 - Pretty in Prints

Lela Rose - Pretty in the White House


Isaac Mizrahi - Pretty on the Red Carpet

Look at that -- waistlines in the right places (more or less), decent hemlines, pretty pretty colors, easy to wear shapes, sleeves. Sleeves! Be still my heart!

The various Vogue commentaries say that the explosion of pretty is a result of the economy: designers want to make things that will sell, i.e., clothing that will appeal to adult women with discretionary income and jobs. Well, these clothes make me want to shop, which I haven't really wanted to do in about a year. So good on the designers, they've reeled in at least one fish.

No comments: