Thursday, July 27, 2006

Project Runway -- it's going to be a loooong season.

It's twue, it's twue, the PR designers this season are amazingly gifted and skilled, capable of grinding out suits, coats, dog sweaters in the two days allowed for a competition. I enjoy watching them work and getting the brief glimpses of the outfits the producers deign to give us. The judges and their judging, though, is driving me crazy. I want Michael Kors back: Vera Wang, his substitute, all shrouded in black, is giving off a very Yoko Ono in her cranky widow phase vibe, and she's not nearly as entertainingly bitchy as Mr. "I wrote down 'farty'" Kors.

I'm also not in agreement with the judge's decisions. I don't understand their enthusiasm for Uli, who's a nice lady and rather witty, but who has produced basically the same dress for three episodes. I don't understand why Michael Knight keeps getting overlooked. I don't understand Nina Garcia's enthusiasm for the puffy shirt. My favorite looks keep getting a pass, but no praise.

This week, my fave was the outfit produced by Robert Best, at left. Okay, it's a Chanel knockoff, but the dog's name is Chanel, what's her hypothetical owner supposed to wear? But I would so wear that look, if the skirt were knee length. I don't think I've thought that about any other garment to hit the reality show runway.

No comments: